Dumit on How I Read: something to ponder for our course! And this will help too: How to Read a Book in Two Hours or Less from Inside Higher Ed's GradHacker.
We may all read some of these, parcel some out in bits, and choose between some, so that collectively we will "know" them all, while individually we will focus our "care-abouts" with sensitivity to what is at stake for each of us, all of us. NOTHING IS CARVED IN STONE! inquire about what you would like! WORRIED? talk to Katie about what you hope for in this class, what you want to know, what you want to focus on. We can work with all of it! Shoot your suggestions and interests to Katie at email@example.com.
• create your own art or design or making KIT of materials. bring to first class to demonstrate, share, get ideas about.
• #LETUSBREATHE Collective: http://www.letusbreathecollective.com
• THE SELF CARE PROJECT: http://theselfcareproject.org
• ALLIED MEDIA PROJECTS: https://www.alliedmedia.org
REQUIRED books and transmedia required to be bought or borrowed or shared for reading, listening, analyzing:
=Handouts on the first day:
• Lothian. 2016. "Choose not to warn." Feminist Studies 42/3: 1-14.
• King. 2016. "Microaggressions as Boundary Objects." Australian Feminist Studies 31/89: 276-282.
The first set of three books we shall all study collectively. The second set of pairs you will choose either one or the other of the pair to know best. The other is then a recommended text you will learn about in teams.
SET ONE: everyone will study collectively the following:
• McKittrick, ed. 2015. Sylvia Wynter: On being human as praxis. Duke. Amazon.
Paper ISBN: 9780822358343 Kindle ASIN: B00SYCI03A
• Shotwell. 2016. Against Purity: Living ethically in compromised times. Minnesota. Amazon.
Paper ISBN: 9780816698646 Kindle ASIN: B01N3Z4NA1
• Stallings. 2015. Funk the Erotic: Transaesthetics and Black sexual cultures. Illinois. Amazon.
Paper ISBN: 9780252081101 Kindle ASIN: B013RXS0K8
SET TWO: in pairs. choose one to know best, the other becomes recommended, both to be studied in teams. They work as companions and contrasts.
• Marcus. 2015. Self-Care for Activists. Mocana. ASIN BO18W816FW Free on Amazon. Kindle ASIN: B018W8I6FW
• Neff. 2015. Self-Compassion. William Morrow. Amazon.
Paper ISBN: 9780061733529 Kindle ASIN: B004JN1DBO Audible.
=Companion website: http://self-compassion.org
• Haraway. 2016. Staying with the Trouble. Duke. Amazon.
Paper ISBN: 9780822362241 Kindle ASIN: B01KO84OPE
• Tsing. 2015. The Mushroom at the end of the World. Princeton. Amazon.
Hard ISBN: 9780691162751 Kindle ASIN: B00WAM15DC
• Górska. 2016. Breathing Matters: Feminist Intersectional Politics of Vulnerability. Linköping University, Department of Thematic Studies, The Department of Gender Studies. Linköping University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences. Download Free here: http://www.diva-portal.org/smash/record.jsf?pid=diva2%3A930676&dswid=-5901
• Svedmark. 2016. Becoming Together and Apart: technoemotions and other posthuman entanglements. Umeå University, Faculty of Social Sciences, Department of Informatics. Umeå University, Faculty of Social Sciences, Umeå Centre for Gender Studies (UCGS). Download Free here: http://urn.kb.se/resolve?urn=urn:nbn:se:umu:diva-120195
• Roelvink. 2015. Making Other Worlds Possible. Minnesota. Amazon.
Paper ISBN: 9780816693290 Kindle ASIN: B00TY17I4C
• Wilson. 2015. Gut Feminism. Duke. Amazon.
Paper ISBN: 9780822359708 Kindle ASIN: B01569VG6Q
• Schulman. 2016. Conflict is not Abuse. Arsenal Pulp. Amazon.
Paper ISBN: 9781551526430 Kindle ASIN: B01LZXGXDH
• Wekker. 2006. The Politics of Passion. Columbia. Amazon.
Paper ISBN: 9780231131636 Kindle ASIN: B007EWKA7U
• Bowker 2015. Boundary Objects and Beyond: Working with Leigh Star. MIT. Amazon.
Paper ISBN: 9780262528085 Kindle ASIN: B01CKSVVJI